Friday, August 31, 2007

too tired to title

I must share the scene I'm witnessing before me. One of those things that's not funny but is, ya know??

But it calls for a bit of background. I've a 12 year old cat who fell off a second story deck two years ago and hurt his back somehow, rendering him unable to stand with weight on his back legs--The legs can MOVE, but he can't walk on all fours. Actually, it's AMAZING how fast this cat can move. He's difficult to catch when he has a mind to escape.

So he wears a diaper-- newborn size. I cut a hole for the tail, whip on a nappy, and he's off!

Two days ago, Twinkle Toes (aka Little Guy) seemed lethargic and weird, so I took him to the vet, who diagnosed a UTI. Came home with Clavamox. Last night he seemed disoriented, and this morning he was ......blind. I've been pretty devastated by it. He's a very special cat, and pretty much runs the show around here, and it's awful to see him so confused. To the vet again today; no explanation, the obvious culprits didn't pan out, so we've an appointment with the opthamalogist at the university vet hospital in the morning.

For some reason, Figs is really angered by Little Guy, who is walking in circles to get his bearings. I suppose Figs is angry because he's acting very differently, but the other 5 cats (his mama and four brothers) don't seem to be bent out of shape about it. Figs is hissing and spitting at him--which does piss me off because Twinks has always been the sweetie who will get up in Figs's chair and lie with him. But the scene before me has Figs growling and slapping at Twinks (particularly a sight because you'd think a crippled cat would have a bit of trouble lifting a paw to slap another.....and sometimes he does roll over backwards), and Little Guy is following the growling sounds, curious. He keeps coming at him, but not aggressively, just as if he's wondering what the fuss is about.

I've not found many things amusing this week, but the bizarre scene of the cat in the diaper trying to fight the blind one did elicit a grin. And a blog posting.

Sad update: Unfortunately, our Twinkle Toes had an MRI, which showed that a very rare form of fungus had invaded his brain. The doctors operated, but couldn't get the brain swelling to go down afterwards. We gave him about 36 hours, at which point, even if the swelling abated, he would have so much damage that, as the doctor said, he probably would not be able to "learn how to be a cat again." So our boy was euthanized around noon on September 5.

9 comments:

Jennifer said...

This is going to look even crazier when you get the blind cat a white cane. I'm sorry to hear that he is ailing though. Poor kitty!

Jennifer said...

And make sure you tell you readers about the butt baths you give the diaper cat!

Anonymous said...

Yeah! I'm sure we'd all like to hear the "juicy" de-tails on that one....

ButtonHole said...

Ads: I challenge you to name someone who has her finger on the pulse of her readership as tightly as our Jennifer. If she thinks I need to regale the blogging community with how I give a butt bath (Figaro prefers "bidet") and have him kick his back legs scissor-fashion to get the poopy out, then I shall simply have to cede to her judgment.

ads. said...

One is always looking for a better way of doing things. I have a newf with an occasional bout of the "nasty-ass". Personally, I still think a pressure washer best suits my needs in this application.

ButtonHole said...

I wish I had a newf.

ButtonHole said...

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I figured you'd just misspelled NEWT!!! It just hit me that you probably mean Newfoundland.

but i LOVE the image of your spraying down a newt's ass!!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ButtonHole said...

Oh look yall, at my new friend! I hope we get as close as the dude that wrote me about his family being killed on a very dangerous road in Nigeria. I can't wait until we get the money transfer stuff squared away!