Saturday, September 22, 2007

Keats and Yeats are on your side


My favorite Yeats poem----

I used to read this to my little girl. When she was a little girl.

THE SONG OF WANDERING AENGUS

by: W.B. Yeats

I WENT out to the hazel wood,
Because a fire was in my head,
And cut and peeled a hazel wand,
And hooked a berry to a thread;
And when white moths were on the wing,
And moth-like stars were flickering out,
I dropped the berry in a stream
And caught a little silver trout.

When I had laid it on the floor
I went to blow the fire a-flame,
But something rustled on the floor,
And some one called me by my name:
It had become a glimmering girl
With apple blossom in her hair
Who called me by my name and ran
And faded through the brightening air.

Though I am old with wandering
Through hollow lands and hilly lands,
I will find out where she has gone,
And kiss her lips and take her hands;
And walk among long dappled grass,
And pluck till time and times are done
The silver apples of the moon,
The golden apples of the sun.



My favorite Keats poem:





ON SEEING THE ELGIN MARBLES




My spirit is too weak; mortality

Weighs heavily on me like unwilling sleep,

And each imagined pinnacle and steep

Of godlike hardship tells me I must die

Like a sick eagle looking at the sky.

Yet 'tis a gentle luxury to weep,

That I have not the cloudy winds to keep

Fresh for the opening of the morning's eye.

Such dim-conceived glories of the brain

Bring round the heart an indescribable feud;

So do these wonders a most dizzy pain,

That mingles Grecian grandeur with the rude

Wasting of old Time -with a billowy main,

A sun, a shadow of a magnitude.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just checkin' in with a "3'fer":

That photo of you is GREAT. You and candy smokin' Jennifer were characters even back in the day...

"while we breathe" is a beautiful poem, yet it is hauntingly disturbing. It's because I live on a small lake that does freeze. Late fall and early spring are always a concern. I've already had to go out and save one of my dogs that had fallen through. I've also had to caution one of my "weekend neighbors" to watch her two preschool daughters, who were out jumping on two-day-old ice about 20 ft. off shore.

I was one of those guys who didn't know my Keats from my Yeats...or from Shinola, for that matter....THANX for enlightening me!

Snap said...

One of my happiest memories is you reading that to me!