Friday, December 26, 2008

Apology to Quarks

Quarks. Can't you imagine that they're just laughing their asses off at us? When they find out we think they don't exist until we look at them! What fools these mortals be!

on the other hand.

When I was a kid, I wondered why it had taken humanity so long to discover or invent things. Like electricity, microscopes, viruses, you name it. And I fantasized that maybe these things actually did NOT exist (vs. lying dormant under the "layers of discovery"-phrase mine) until we were actually ready to find them and then voila, they spontaneously arose. Somehow.

No. I'm not drunk. Or otherwise impaired. I do have a godawful headache though.

5 comments:

ButtonHole said...

I seriously thought this post would elicit comments in DROVES.

Maggie May said...

me too- on the headache.

the word quark is awesome.

i used to wonder why it took people so long to invent things too. i used to think- if soap kills bacteria, why don't doctors just open us up and put soap on the sick parts? i was a friggin genius.

Anonymous said...

We're just lying dormant until it is our time to spontaneously arise....

ButtonHole said...

As usual: wish I'd thought of that!

ButtonHole said...

And Mag: your soap comment reminds me of the one about the little black box on airplanes: if it's indestructible, why not make the whole airplane out of it?