Monday, June 08, 2009

moon//light


All my life, I've gone outside on summer nights and walked around whatever house I'm living in. During good times, as a child growing up with my parents, especially when we had company, I liked to escape for a while, sit in the dewy grass and watch people moving from room to room in the golden lamplight inside. If the weather wasn't too sweltering, the windows would be open, and laughter and conversation would leak out around the sounds of meals being prepared or dishes washed. I started early being an Observer, and I've yet to depart from the role.

During bad times, during my mother's "spells" (she controlled everything: when I was happy or sad, whether the family got home-cooked meals, which way the wind blew, whether the sun would rise again), I also would watch the house, but wonderingly: at how normal it continued to look from outside, despite the emotional meltdown and subsequent ice-over going on within.
Tonight and last night I went yard-roving with camera. Turning the flash off makes for a blur, more or less (generally more), but with a flash, the natural glow disappears.
This one of the front of the house was taken in those few minutes that totter between dusk and night. Interestingly, the sky reflecting on the roof (just a normal shingle roof) causes it to appear to have a sci-fi unearthly neon glow. How cool would a glowing roof be?


The spotlights are on, but otherwise I'd not have enough light to work with.


This is on the back deck. This is such a lonely picture, to me.



Wider range of the same area, essentially.





Last night: moon nearly full.

How surprised would the moon be to hear what myths and lore have piled high about it here below??


How it waxes and wanes, allegations the moon would surely deny,
how it's full,
quarter,
a sliver,
gibbous,
blue,
harvest.

How there's a man in the moon.
How it's made of green cheese. How romantic
it is. How it makes people
kiss. How it makes them crazy, such "luna"tics.
How it has its own goddess.
How it helps us measure time.
It's something to howl at.
a sonata about moonlight
clair de lune
the cow jumped over the moon
and girls moon over boys.
and we sing about it--
how there's a bad moon on the rise--
Shapeshifter werewolf
moonbeams
shoot for the moon
worship it
live out all our our lives
by the light
of the silvery moon.

4 comments:

ads. said...

You've got "shoot(for)the moon", but also, how 'bout "shoot A moon"...

It may look lonely, but the house/deck looks beautiful, nonetheless.
I don't know if I've ever fully realized this in my youth, as you have, but this outside-in fondness is something I can relate to. Nice. Thanks for another great perspective.

ButtonHole said...

Stop butting in, Ads!

Tania Rochelle said...

I always liked looking into other people's houses.

Mark said...

in the movies, they call that twilight moment between day and night "Magic hour" because of how everything looks when filmed then...