"Special equipment: a shallow 2 1/2-qt flameproof baking dish such as a 12-inch quiche dish (1 3/4 inches deep); a small blowtorch."
I've a quiche dish, yes, but a BLOWTORCH? Who has a blowtorch lying around the kitchen??? Sweet Potato Brulee will have to get the ax... though one reviewer did say using the blowtorch was "fun."
Furthermore, I was chatting with Mary Ann on Facebook last night about my search for a good pork crown roast, and she found a fun recipe, which I have truncated for you below:
1 lg. onion, finely chopped
1 lemon, thinly sliced and seeded
2 c. finely crushed biscuit crumbs
2 c. ehiyr poty
EHIYR POTY. Ah, yes. Any recipe using ehiyr poty is sure to get raves from diners. Who doesn't have a few pots of that staple in the cupboard??
But so far, here's what I've decided upon:
Roast Prime Rib au poivre
Scalloped Potatoes with Three Cheeses (those being x-sharp cheddar, Danish blue, and Parmasan)
Roast Winter Squash and Parsnips with Maple Syrup Glaze and Marcona Almonds (I'm not familiar with that branch of the almond family, but the reviewers say not to even THINK about using regular almonds. Okay.)
some of my fabulous omg fried corn
deviled eggs
a chess pie
a pecan pie
As you can see, I've decided against going for the traditional turkey and ham this Christmas. I think. Perhaps I should pick up a honey-baked ham in case the au poivre turns out poorly. But how could it??
I'm still on the prowl for
-- another side dish/veggie recipe (I'm looking for different stuff rather than the same green bean, brocolli, and squash casseroles
-- a wild rice recipe
-- maybe a cake
-- maybe a sweet potato casserole/crunch. I don't like sweet potatoes, but everyone else does. So I'll call it an altruism casserole.
I still have shopping to do. :(
Traffic sucks out there. Bad.
I had my carpet cleaned today (it's white...or should be). I had a little cat situation, if you catch my drift. A photo of the perp is posted below. I thought $359 was a bit steep for cleaning two rooms and the stairs (thought I believe this company uses square footage as the dude did measure--and the two rooms are really large, the living room and a bedroom), but it does look splendid. Plus, CarpetDude put down some ScotchGard, which I thought was now illegal, but whatever.

bad, bad peepot cheebs
Now here's a picture of a GOOD kitty, Stumpy (he's half a tail). Stumpers has quite a story attached to him involving two court dates, a crazed menopausal neighbor, and lost wages. I'll tell ya sometime....
Ciao!



2 comments:
I make candied sweet potatoes with maple syrup and bourbon. I think you could put pecans on them if you wanted some crunch. My guests always like them.
Have you thought about a pumpkin spice cake with cream cheese frosting?
Maybe you should check out the recipes at Southern Living magazine online. (I used to subscribe, but I always felt bad about never being able to achieve in my own home the perfection they showcase. I also envy and hate Martha Stewart.)
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
MAG
Your sweet tater recipe sounds like my father-in-law's.
The pumpkin spice sounds great. I was thinking of a tres leche cake, but they are so much trouble when I've so much else to fix.
I do like Southern Living's recipes. My fave is Bon Appetit. I've found that their recipes very rarely need any tweaking, which is sooo unusual. Thanks for the 'gestions!
Post a Comment