Friday, October 10, 2008

deja view

a very busy day. very busy. I'll tell you about it later. but while running about from pillar to post, I saw some crazy shit. For some of it, I didn't have my camera with me. For some of it I did.
I saw this: I think you'll have to agree. This is one tight ride.


Of course, I REALLY wanted to stay here, at the HillCrest Motel. Trust me: the picture does it extreme justice. This place is crazy-seedy. I think I might have tweaked it too much in the editing; now it looks like a 1950's post card.



Just lookit those prices, daddy! The sign says, "$99 WEEK." Then, written haphazardly, perhaps with constant glances over shoulder for the DEA, is "for one plus tax."
If the taxes don't getcha, the roaches will.

I was able to make time in my busy schedule to wedge in a late lunch at Trowbridges. I ordered what I have ordered for, literally, the last 30 years, with no variation. Hotdog (comes with chili), egg and olive sandwich, coke.


That reminds me. In high school, I HATED the school lunches. So I didn't eat them. But 2:45 (when school ended) I was ravenous. I didn't want to bring my lunch to school. That was for lame-o's and people in the band. So every day when my mom picked me up, we'd go by McDonald's and I'd order the same thing: fish sandwich, small fries, medium orange drink. After a few weeks of this, I walked in and they had it already bagged up and sitting on the counter for me! I thought that was THE funniest thing ever.





7 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. sweet ride. w/spinners?
2. the original roach motel...people check in...
3. egg and olive sandwich? must be a regional thing.
4. "the usual" at Mickey-D's is too funny. It's interesting how some people will do that. My wife is a "usual"-kinda-gal. For the most part, so am I.
The worst one was this guy at a butcher block factory I worked at for a summer job, back when I was still going to college. He'd go to this bar for lunch everyday, and there would be FIVE SHOTS lined up and waiting for him...that was his lunch!

ButtonHole said...

WOW. I wish I'd thought of the shots thing in high school! That would've given me just the edge I was looking for!

I can see my mom sitting out in the parking lot of the local bar waiting on me to take shots!

Plus there was no local bar. Dry county.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you've worked Trowbridges into your blog!

ButtonHole said...

Oh anonymous, oh Mr. B, you are sooooo far behind. This is the THIRD shout out to Trowbridges on my blog!!!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE this picture within a picture thing going on. Take a look at the pix of HillCrest and note that your side mirror is caught in the frame. Then notice the contrast between what is in the mirror image and the image of HillCrest. it's like a TIME WARP. Love it.

J

M. A, O'Neal said...

Trowbridges was often the highlight of my trips to Florence.

That and Helen Keller's house, which I have seen, but she hasn't. (sorry that was bad). I found it compelling that, when her family sought to move her and Anne Sullivan to a small cabin on the property, they drove her around and around the yard so she would think she was very far away. Cool or cruel--you decide.

ButtonHole said...

Wait, kitty, hello. I thought you said DAVID loved it but you failed to see your draw. Although that does NOT mean that it wasn't the highlight of your trip! HA

J: I too love the rearview mirror views. I will post my fave of all time as a new post!