Monday, October 13, 2008

STUCKEY'S STOP

In class last week, in our ongoing study of rhetotical analysis, we were reading an editorial and response on the Confederate flag controversy that raged a few years back here in Georgia (re: rebel flag flying over state capital--many saw it as a symbol of racism and divisiveness--myself included--especially since the flag has been on prominent display at KKK rallies for years now, among other reasons). So I was on a special alert for Conferate flag candid photos to show to class. Most of my students are either 1. not from GA or 2. from wealthier suburbs of Atlanta (i.e. a bit more "progressive" than rural AL) and might not have come into contact with some of their more die-hard neighbors. So I was especially on red alert for Confederabilia. Then I saw Stuckey's off I-65 about halfway between Cullman and Birmingham, and remembered what a hotbed it was for racist knick-knacks for all ages.


So I skid on in:

Every little girl's dream: to be Miss Cellophane Alabama.

Have you ever wondered: What if Georgia O'Keefe had been from Alabama???




I can't think of a thing to add here. These bumpers say it all.

No. Seriously. All I need to know about someone who might purchase one of these is written right on the sticker itself.

I watched. Nearly eveyone who came in twirled the stand around, admiring the wide selection of "Civil War Ain't Over, itzit?" merchandise. No one looked in the least bit appalled.


A modern day totem pole of all that's important in life: Jesus, Auburn, Chevrolet, Dixieland, and your sorry redneck ass.


A cap is, quite simply, de rigeur for any redneck ensemble.

I like the "Sexy" one with the pink flames lapping the bill. That is so me!




And for the more formal occasions, like a prayer service/rodeo up at the Cowboy Church, Stuckey's offers an (admittedly narrow) selection of rebel flag ascots and kerchiefs.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The kerchief collection is limited 'cause they ain't but 3 kinds to git.....rebel or camo or Harley. I see lots of each....even up here.