Wednesday, October 01, 2008

good evening. come in. have a seat.

Supposed to be grading papers. But first I had to clean up the kitchen. Who can possibly work with dishes in the next room grumbling about wanting in the dishwasher? ~let me in dammit!~ the dishes said. ~i'm sick of sitting here in the sink with this spaghetti and gunk hardening on me!~ So I did as I was told by the dinnerware. Then Chloe needed walking, yes? After that a student sent me word that the documents I'd scanned and sent the class through email for tomorrow (because the English department will no longer copy anything for us! because of budget cuts!! so we hafta send everything online! but what's REALLY sad to think about is how the athletic department must be faring in all this belt-tightening, right? just mind-boggling to think of how the budget cuts must be affecting those poor souls...I feel for em).

But never mind them. Back to me. So I had to transfer this silly doc to another program and reconfigure the face of god so that it would print out well. After all that, of course, I needed a cup of coffee. Then Josef came online and we had to go over every detail and philosophical implication of that crazy fake baby video that Tania has up on her blog today:
http://thestonescolossaldream.blogspot.com/2008/10/who-doesnt-like-to-play-with-dolls.html

Here's THAT IM:


LisaR808 [7:00 P.M.]: Say what month did you and Beebs do your continental tour?

Wystan2 [7:00 P.M.]: that was in December, wasn't it?

LisaR808 [7:01 P.M.]: I thought that it was

Wystan2 [7:01 P.M.]: I'm watchin ghat FUCKED UP reborn doll vid. SO WRONG

LisaR808[7:01 P.M.]: Is that fuckin creepy??

LisaR808 [7:01 P.M.]: AS IF people won't stop and coo at the baby in the park etc and then realize it's a DOLL! There goes THAT pretense

LisaR808 [7:02 P.M.]: I tell ya, Joe, the longer I live, the saner I feel.

Wystan2 [7:05 P.M.]: LOL, you know!!

Wystan2 [7:05 P.M.]: I may be a big ol fag, but I'm not as crazy as some of these fuckers
LisaR808 [7:05 P.M.]: I hear ya.

Wystan2 [7:06 P.M.]: add this video to the one with the men and their REAL dolls... yeesh LisaR808 [7:07 P.M.]: EXACTLY! What a happy family they would make!

LisaR808 [7:07 P.M.]: "Hi, you've reached the Reeves residence. Our family is 50% silicon, but please leave a msg and we'll get back to you."

LisaR808 [7:09 P.M.]: where'd ya go?......uh, you're not ordering one o' dem dolls, are you? Wystan2 [7:09 P.M.]: LOL, that's good

Wystan2 [7:09 P.M.]: NO, playing scrabble

Wystan2 [7:10 P.M.]: through facebook

LisaR808 [7:10 P.M.]: oh

Wystan2 [7:10 P.M.]: Mr. Lewis and I have a game going. He has his laptop and I have mine, and we're sitting here in bed playing against each other

LisaR808 [7:11 P.M.]: What else is there but facebook?

LisaR808 [7:11 P.M.]: These are really really interesting times, aren't they?

Wystan2 [7:11 P.M.]: I was thinking indeed the same thing

LisaR808 [7:11 P.M.]: wuz not

Wystan2 [7:12 P.M.]: yup, was. THe fact that we're BOTH using out laptops to play a game that we could be playing on a board...

LisaR808 [7:12 P.M.]: okay, well, I just wanted to peek in. I'm grading these UGA papers I've been shirking for too long. I'll go do that.....

Wystan2 [7:12 P.M.]: It changes the situation, although I can't quite say what it means

Wystan2 [7:12 P.M.]: later then dude!

LisaR808 [7:12 P.M.]: AND talking to me, watching creepy videos, who knows what else

Wystan2 [7:12 P.M.]: grade them damn papers

LisaR808 [7:12 P.M.]: I'll say this last thing

Wystan2 [7:13 P.M.]: always wanting to get the last word in!

LisaR808 [7:13 P.M.]: I communicate more fully, deeply, and honestly through this machine than I ever have in my life

LisaR808 [7:13 P.M.]: Last word: yours...

Wystan2 [7:13 P.M.]: that being a good thing? lol

LisaR808 [7:13 P.M.]: better than never having done

LisaR808 [7:14 P.M.]: I think I'll go write a paper on't

LisaR808 [7:14 P.M.]: bye

Wystan2 [7:14 P.M.]: well BYE then. You opened a good topic, but we will come back to that later, ok, Lisa?

Wystan2 [7:14 P.M.]: YA?

LisaR808 [7:14 P.M.]: oh, sure, sure!

LisaR808 [7:15 P.M.]: That's a difficult accent to convey in writing, isn't it??

Wystan2 [7:15 P.M.]: it IS, but I know you know what I'm trying to do

Wystan2 [7:15 P.M.]: lol

LisaR808 [7:15 P.M.]: I do, yes



So when I FINALLY got rid of that droning juggernaut (hi joe!) along come KenD with a picture he took in Atlanta traffic today, so I had to arrange to get THAT up on my blog here.




Afterwards, I settled in to grade, but I'm doing it through this dumb stupid idiotic online grading idiocy and the template will not consistently download correctly for me so what to do but wash a load of clothes??

Now I'm back, checking my email to see who else's privacy I might be able to violate, hmmm.

Papers schmapers.

8 comments:

Ron said...

I love the Scrabble bit. I mean, why not? What's sacred about the board? Personally, I'd rather play via my phone... hmmm, iPhone, here I come.

I am curious about one other thing: how do you feeling about this online grading business? It's not entirely clear from your post.

Anonymous said...

Well, the funny bit, Ron, since you asked, is that my partner and I were playing scrabble on our separate laptops, sitting on the same bed, not looking at each other, but looking at our separate computer screens. We were doing something together, sure, but still very much in our own separate virtual worlds. Probably not an issue, just something that makes our modern lives interesting and unique?

Ron said...

Probably not an issue, just something that makes our modern lives interesting and unique?

That would be my guess. I've sat across the table from someone in a restaurant and sent text messages before. I think of all that stuff as an added dimension.

Anonymous said...

Now, if you were texting that person you were sitting at the table with, THAT would be the deal!

ButtonHole said...

I'm here to attest to the fact that YES, Ron HAS sat across a table from someone (me) in a restaurant and sent text messages before. However, the recipient of his text messages was NOT me nor was HE the recipient of MY conversation!

I'm just sayin! :P

ButtonHole said...

J: I'm sure he meant that he was texting the person across from him, yes, right, R?

Ron said...

Lisa, I'm sorry sorry sorry about that! It was the frantic loveliness of a new relationship, made me lose my senses.

And, yes, I meant that I sat across the table from someone and texted her.

ButtonHole said...

Chill, dude! I'm joking!

Now you write back and say that YOU were joking, too, and tell me I'm stupid to think you were serious!